- Do you want to learn and develop useful youth advisor skills? Or are you a youth wanting to learn new leadership skills?
- Do you want to join with advisors and youth from across the region, networking and learning at the same time?
- Do you want your congregation to have a healthy and vital youth ministry?
Then come to the Healthy Youth Groups training!
This training presents core issues, philosophies, and skills needed to advise and empower youth. This training is designed for:
- adults working with UU youth in the capacity of youth advisors - new and seasoned
- adults working with UU youth in other roles, such as Religious Educators, Ministers and RE or Youth Program Chairs
- youth who want to be leaders in their youth groups or in district leadership.
Topics covered include:
- creating diverse and balanced programming
- building cooperative relationships between youth and adults
- tools to build a healthy youth group community
- ethics, confidentiality, liability and dealing with crisis
- building a vision of a fully youth-inclusive congregation
The philosophy behind this training is one of youth empowerment: We seek to develop youth group leaders who can support the growth of youth leadership and who can work in adult-youth partnership.
Congregations are encouraged to send any advisors who have not received this training AND are particularly encouraged to send teams of youth and adults. Such teams will be prepared to return and help congregation youth programming leap to the next level!
When: Friday, March 20, starting at 7:00 p.m. on Friday night and ending by 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 2 morning
Leaders: Evin Carvill-Ziemer grew up UU and is now the Ohio Meadville Program Coordinator. Evin has worked with UU youth and young adults in a variety of roles. Evin will be joined by one of our team of competent youth co-trainers who bring the perspective of experienced youth leadership to the training.
Cost: $50.00 covers the cost of the training, materials and meals. If your congregation is sending 3 or more people, with at least one youth and one adult, registration is $45 per person. Scholarships are available for 1/2 the cost of registration. Please request one on the registration form. Deadline for scholarship applications to be in the district office is March 6, 2015. Late applications will not be accepted.
Bring: Sleeping bag, air mattress, comfortable clothes, toiletries *This is an intensive training, and will have activities from early morning until late at night; sleeping is in the church.*
???'s: Contact Evin Carvill-Ziemer, OMD Program Coordinator
This event requires additional forms for both youth and adults. These forms are on the Youth Program events Forms page and will be downloadable via a link in your confirmation email.
Registration Deadline is March 8, 2015 and we have room for 40 participants. If the form is closed, please contact the district office to be put on the wait list or see if space is still available.